Cynthia Arslanian-Engoren, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, FAHA, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Nurses’ cardiac triage decisions
- Women’s cardiac treatment seeking decisions
- Coronary heart disease in women
- Decision Science
- Self-care management
Dr. Arslanian-Engoren is an expert in decision science and coronary heart disease in women. Her program of research focuses on treatment delays for myocardial infarction with an emphasis on nurses’ triage decisions and women’s treatment-seeking decisions. Her research expertise also includes the symptom experiences of adults with acute cardiac and respiratory conditions and their influence on the cognitive processes involved in decision-making and self-care. She has extensively studied how emergency department nurses process, attend, and respond to patient symptoms when making cardiac triage decisions and has recently completed a Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation of Michigan funded study that tested the feasibility of an evidence-based nursing intervention to improve nurses’ cardiac triage decisions.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Treatment delays for myocardial infarction
- Nurses’ cardiac triage decisions
- Women’s treatment seeking decisions
- Cognitive processes involved in decision-making and self-care
Dr. Arslanian-Engoren is an experienced academician who has taught across the curricula. At the undergraduate level, she has used her expertise to teach clinical decision-making and adult health nursing. At the graduate level, she has taught nursing theory, research, and advanced practice didactic and clinical courses to the acute care graduate nursing students. In addition, she has mentored undergraduate honors students and graduate students in the completion of their research and scholarly projects (e.g. master’s projects, doctoral preliminary examinations, dissertations). Dr. Arslanian-Engoren often includes students as members of her research team, providing mentorship experiences and experiential knowledge of critical aspects of scientific inquiry.
Affiliations / Service
- Member, Council of Cardiovascular Nursing, American Heart Association, 2007-present
- Member, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 1993- present (Grant Reviewer, 2007-2009; Chair, Decision-Making Research Section, 2003-2004; Member, Acute Care Research Award Committee, 2009-2010)
- Director-at-Large, Michigan Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, 2009-present
- Alternate Member, Institutional Review Board Health Sciences and Behavioral Sciences, University of Michigan, 2009-2010
- Member, Institutional Review Board Health Sciences and Behavioral Sciences [Maize], 2010-2012
Notable Awards / Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2012
- Fellow, American Heart Association, 2008
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society of Nursing, 1993
- Emergency Nurses Association, Institute of Emergency Nursing Research, Research Poster Award Winner, 2009
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Rho Chapter, University of Michigan School of Nursing, Excellence in Nursing Award, Rising Star, 2005
- Midwest Nursing Research Society, Decision-Making Research Section, New Investigator Award, 2004
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1999
- Graduate Certificate in Women’s Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1998
- MSN, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH, 1994
- BSN, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1989
- Engoren, M., Schwann, T.A., Arslanian-Engoren, C., Maile, M., & Habib, R.H. (2013). U-shape association between hemoglobin A1c and late mortality in patients with heart failure after cardiac surgery. American Journal of Cardiology, 111(8), 1209-1213.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C., Eagle, K.A. Hagerty, B.M., & Reits, S. (2011). Emergency department triage nurses' self-reported adherence with American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association myocardial infarction guidelines. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 26(5):408-13. DOI: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182076a98
- Arslanian-Engoren, C., Sullivan, B-J, & Struble, L. (2011). Revisioning a CNS Curriculum in three specialty tracks. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 25(5), 253-259. DOI. 10.1097/NUR.0b013e31822c47d7.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C. (2011). Women's risk factors and screening for coronary heart disease. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 40(3), 337-347. (Invited Paper). doi: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2011.01234.x.
- Weintraub, N., Collins, S, Pang, P., Levy, P., Anderson, A.S., Arslanian-Engoren, C, Gibler, W.B., McCord, J., Parshall, M., Francis, G.S., & Gheorghiade, M. (2010). Acute Heart Failure Syndromes in the Emergency Department- Current Practice and Future Research Directions. Circulation, 122(19):1975-1996.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C., & Engoren M. (2010). Physiological and anatomical bases for sex differences in pain and nausea as presenting symptoms of acute coronary syndromes. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 39(5), 386-393.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C., Hagerty, B.M., & Eagle, K.A. (2010). Evaluation of the ACT intervention to improve nurses' cardiac triage decisions. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 32(6): 713-29.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C, Hagerty, B.M., Antonakos, C.L., & Eagle, K.A. (2010). The feasibility and utility of the aid to cardiac triage intervention to improve nurses’ cardiac triage decisions. Heart & Lung, 39, 201-207.
- Allen, J.W., Arslanian-Engoren, C., & Lynch-Sauer, J. (2009). The lived experience of middle-aged women with New York Heart Association Class III heart failure: A phenomenological study. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing, 24, 96-101. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-7117.2009.00042.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C. (2009). Explicating nurses’ cardiac triage decisions. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 24, 50-57. doi: 10.1097/01.JCN.0000317474.50424.4f
- Arslanian-Engoren, C., & Engoren, M. (2007). Using a genetic algorithm to predict evaluation of acute coronary syndromes. Nursing Research, 56, 82-88. doi: 10.1097/01.NNR.0000263965.16501.26
- Arslanian-Engoren, C. (2007). Black, Hispanic, and White women’s perception of heart disease. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing, 22, 13-19. doi: 10.1111/j.0889-7204.2007.05698.
- Arslanian-Engoren, C., Patel, A., Fang, J., Armstrong, D., Kline-Rogers, E., Duvernoy, C.S., & Eagle, K.A. (2006). Symptoms of men and women presenting with acute coronary syndromes. American Journal of Cardiology, 98, 1177-1181. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2006.05.049
- Arslanian-Engoren, C. (2005). Treatment seeking decisions of women with acute myocardial infarction. Women & Health, 42, 53-70. doi: 10.1300/J013v42n02_04
- Arslanian-Engoren, C. (2005). Patient cues that predict nurses’ triage decisions for acute coronary syndromes. Applied Nursing Research, 18, 82-89. doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2004.06.013