Janet L. Larson
Janet L. Larson, PhD, RN, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Exercise and physical activity in people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Functional status in COPD
- Stigma in COPD
- Anxiety and depression in COPD
Dr. Larson is an expert in the pulmonary rehabilitation of people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). She maintains an active program of research, studying factors that influence symptoms, physical activity, and quality of life for people with COPD. Most of her research focuses on exercise interventions for people with COPD and includes a series of studies to examine the effects of inspiratory muscle training and cycle ergometry training (NIH NR01428). In the past, Dr. Larson has conducted a prospective longitudinal study to examine factors that influence deterioration of respiratory muscle strength and functional status in people with COPD (NIH NR04129). More recently, she completed a randomized controlled trial of upper body strength training with a self-efficacy enhancing intervention to promote exercise adherence in people with COPD (NIH NR 08037). She is currently conducting studies to examine daily physical activity and the effects of an exercise intervention to increase physical activity in people with COPD.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Monitoring Physical Activity Behavior in People With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: a preliminary study (Larson, JL, PI; Han, ML Co-I)
- Lifestyle physical activity intervention for people with COPD (Larson, JL, PI; Gretebeck, K, Co-I; Han, ML, Co-I)
Dr. Larson mentors students in her research laboratory and regularly teaches research seminars for graduate students as well as lectures on topics of respiratory physiology and respiratory pathophysiology at the undergraduate and graduate level. She lectures on topics related to conducting exercise research in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and measurement issues related to tests of functional performance. In addition, Dr. Larson (in collaboration with Marie Driever, PhD, RN) regularly conducts research workshops for nurses in Russia, sponsored by the Russian Nurses Association.
Affiliations / Service
- American Thoracic Society, 1986-present (multiple leadership roles 1987-2010; Nursing Assembly Chair and Board of Directors Member 2005-2007)
- Respiratory Nursing Society, 1989-present (Co-Founder, President 1989-1992, multiple leadership roles 1992-1999)
- Midwest Nursing Research Society, 1983-present (multiple leadership roles 1992-2010; Treasurer 2004-2009; President Elect 2010-2011)
- NIH Center for Scientific Review, (multiple ad hoc reviews 1995-2001, Nursing Study Section member 2001-2004; Nursing Science: Adults and Older Adults Study Section member 2005-2009 and chair 2008-2009)
- American College of Sports Medicine, 2000-present (member)
Notable Awards / Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 1994
- Service Award, Respiratory Nursing Society, 1995
- Founders Award, Respiratory Nursing Society, 2000
- Distinguished Contribution to Research in the Midwest, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2002
- University Scholar, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003-2006
- PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1985
- MN, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1978
- BSN, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1975
- Berger, B., Kapella, M.C., Larson, J.L. (In Press). The experience of stigma in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Western Journal of Nursing Research.
- Kapella, M.C., Larson, J.L., Covey, M.K., Alex, C.G. (In Press). Functional Performance in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Declines with Time. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.
- Woith, W.M., Volchenkov, G., Larson, J.L. (In press). Russian health care workers’ knowledge of tuberculosis and infection control. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease.
- Hacker, E.D., Larson, J.L., Peace, D. (In Press). Exercise in Patients Receiving Intensive Cancer Therapy: Lessons Learned and Results from a Feasibility Study. Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Plonczynski, D.J., Wilbur, J.E., Larson, J.L., Thiede, K. (2008) Lifestyle Physical Activity of Older Rural Women. Research in Nursing and Health, 31, 501-513.
- Woith, W.M., & Larson, J.L. (2008). Delay in seeking treatment and adherence to tuberculosis medication in Russia: A survey of patients from two clinics. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 45, 1163-1174.
- Larson, J.L. (2007). Functional performance and physical activity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Theoretical perspectives. The Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 4, 237-242.
- Kapella, M.C., Larson, J.L., Patel, M.K., Covey, M.K., Berry, J.K. (2006). Subjective fatigue, influencing variables and consequences in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Nursing Research, 55, 10-17.
- Ferrans, CE, Zerwic, JJ, Wilbur, JE, Larson, JL. (2005). Conceptual model of health related quality of life. Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 37, 336-342.
- Covey, M.K., Larson, J.L., Wirtz, S.E., Berry, J.K., Pogue, N.J., Alex, C.G., Patel, M. (2001). High intensity inspiratory muscle training in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and severely reduced function. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, 21, 231-240.
- Larson, J.L., Covey, M.K., Wirtz, S.E., Berry, J.K., Alex, C.G., Langbein, W.E., Edwards, L. (1999) Cycle ergometer and inspiratory muscle training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American Journal Respiratory Critical Care Medicine, 160, 500-507.
- Larson, J.L., Covey, M.K., Berry, J., Wirtz, S., Alex, C.G. Matsuo, M. (1999). Discontinuous incremental threshold loading test: Measure of respiratory muscle endurance in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest, 115, 60-67.
- Larson, J.L., Covey, M.K., Wirtz, S.E., Berry, J.K., Alex, C.G., Langbein, W.E., Edwards, L. (1999). Cycle ergometer and inspiratory muscle training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American Journal Respiratory Critical Care Medicine, 160, 500-507.
- Larson, J.L., Covey, M.K, Vitalo, C.A., Alex, C., Patel, M, & Kim, M.J., (1993). Maximal inspiratory pressure: Learning effect and test‑retest reliability in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest, 104, 448-453.
- Larson, J.L., Kim, M.J., Sharp, J.T. & Larson, D.A. (1988). Inspiratory muscle training with a threshold resistive breathing device. American Review Respiratory Disease, 138, 689‑696.