Janet L. Larson
Janet L. Larson, PhD, RN, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Exercise and physical activity in people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Functional status in COPD
- Stigma in COPD
- Anxiety and depression in COPD
Dr. Larson is an expert in the pulmonary rehabilitation of people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). She maintains an active program of research, studying factors that influence symptoms, physical activity, and quality of life for people with COPD. Most of her research focuses on exercise interventions for people with COPD and includes a series of studies to examine the effects of inspiratory muscle training and cycle ergometry training (NIH NR01428). In the past, Dr. Larson has conducted a prospective longitudinal study to examine factors that influence deterioration of respiratory muscle strength and functional status in people with COPD (NIH NR04129). More recently, she completed a randomized controlled trial of upper body strength training with a self-efficacy enhancing intervention to promote exercise adherence in people with COPD (NIH NR 08037). She is currently conducting studies to examine daily physical activity and the effects of an exercise intervention to increase physical activity in people with COPD.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Monitoring Physical Activity Behavior in People With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: a preliminary study (Larson, JL, PI; Han, ML Co-I)
- Lifestyle physical activity intervention for people with COPD (Larson, JL, PI; Gretebeck, K, Co-I; Han, ML, Co-I)
- “Center for complexity and self-management of chronic disease,” (Multiple PI, D Barton and I Dinov), P20NR15331,9/2014-72019. The center was established to support the development of research that advances the self-management of people with complex co-morbid conditions and the use of complex interventions. Dr. Larson is director of the pilot core.
Dr. Larson mentors students in her research laboratory and regularly teaches research seminars for graduate students as well as lectures on topics of respiratory physiology and respiratory pathophysiology at the undergraduate and graduate level. She lectures on topics related to conducting exercise research in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and measurement issues related to tests of functional performance. In addition, Dr. Larson (in collaboration with Marie Driever, PhD, RN) has regularly conducted research workshops for nurses in Russia, sponsored by the Russian Nurses Association.
Affiliations / Service
- American Thoracic Society, 1986-present (multiple leadership roles 1987-2010; Nursing Assembly Chair and Board of Directors Member 2005-2007)
- Respiratory Nursing Society, 1989-present (Co-Founder, President 1989-1992, multiple leadership roles 1992-1999)
- Midwest Nursing Research Society, 1983-present (multiple leadership roles 1992-2010; Treasurer 2004-2009; President Elect 2010-2011)
- NIH Center for Scientific Review, (multiple ad hoc reviews 1995-2001, Nursing Study Section member 2001-2004; Nursing Science: Adults and Older Adults Study Section member 2005-2009 and chair 2008-2009)
- American College of Sports Medicine, 2000-present (member)
Notable Awards / Honors
- University of Michigan Shaké Ketefian Collegiate Professor of Nursing, 2015 -
- University Scholar, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003-2006
- Distinguished Contribution to Research in the Midwest, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2002
- Founders Award, Respiratory Nursing Society, 2000
- Service Award, Respiratory Nursing Society, 1995
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 1994
- PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1985
- MN, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1978
- BSN, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1975
- Chan, R, Giardin N, Larson JL. (2015). A Pilot Study: Modified mindfulness-based stress reduction intervention in COPD. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 10:445-454. PMID:25767382
- Hacker ED, Kapella M, Park C, Ferrans CE, Larson JL. (2015). Oncology Nursing Forum. 42:371-379. PMID:26148316.
- Larson, JL, Covey, MK, Kapella, MC, Alex, AG, McAuley, E. (2014). Self-efficacy enhancing intervention increases light physical activity in people with COPD International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 9:1081-1090. doi:10.2147/COPD.S66846. eCollection 2014. PMID 25336939
- Driever, MJ, Sarkisova, V, Serebrennikova, N, Mandleco, B, Larson, JL. (2014). Capacity building for global health nursing. In MJ Upvall, JM Leffers Eds. Global Health - Nursing Building and Sustaining Partnerships. New York, Springer Publishing Co. pp. 149-158.
- Lin, YP, McCullagh, MC, Kao, TS, Larson, JL. (2014). An Integrative Review: Work Environment Factors Associated With Physical Activity Among White-Collar Workers. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 36(2):262-83. doi: 10.1177/0193945913503417. Epub 2013 Sep 24.
- Park, SK, Richardson, CR, Holleman, RG, Larson, JL. (2013). Physical Activity in People with COPD, using the National Health and Nutrition Evaluation Survey dataset (2003-2006). Heart & Lung. ;42(4):235-40. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2013.04.005. Epub 2013 May 29. PMID:23726356
- Larson, JL, Vos, CM, Fernandez, D. (2013). Interventions to increase physical activity in people with COPD: Systematic review. Annual Review of Nursing Research. 31: 297-326.
- Lin, Y. P., Kao, T. S., McCullagh, M. C., Edington, D. W., & Larson, J. L. (2012). Work environment and psychosocial factors affecting physical activity among Taiwanese information technology professionals: a structural equation modeling approach. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 54: 1092-1100. PMID22929795
- Covey MK, McAuley E, Kapella MC, Collins EG, Alex CG, Bernbaum, ML, Larson, JL. (2012) Upper-Body Resistance Training and Self-Efficacy Enhancement in COPD. J Pulmon Resp Med S9:001. doi:10.4172/2161-105X.S9-001
- Berger, B, Kapella, MC, Larson, JL. (2011). The experience of stigma in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 33(7):916-932.PMID: 20940446
- Tzeng, H-M, Larson, JL. (2011). Exploring the relationship between patient call-light use rate and nurse call-light response time in acute care settings. Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 29:138-143.PMID: 21099676
- Driever, MJ, Mandleco, BL, Larson, JL (2011). Formulating Questions to Guide the Use of Evidence in Nursing Practice, Russian Nurses’ Association Tribune, 11(4):10- 13.
- Plonczynski, D.J., Wilbur, J.E., Larson, J.L., Thiede, K. (2008) Lifestyle Physical Activity of Older Rural Women. Research in Nursing and Health, 31, 501-513.
- Woith, W.M., & Larson, J.L. (2008). Delay in seeking treatment and adherence to tuberculosis medication in Russia: A survey of patients from two clinics. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 45, 1163-1174.
- Larson, J.L. (2007). Functional performance and physical activity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Theoretical perspectives. The Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 4, 237-242.
- Kapella, M.C., Larson, J.L., Patel, M.K., Covey, M.K., Berry, J.K. (2006). Subjective fatigue, influencing variables and consequences in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Nursing Research, 55, 10-17.