Jody R. Lori
Jody R. Lori, PhD, CNM, FACNM, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Global Health
- Reproductive Rights
- Vulnerable Populations
- Community-based participatory research
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- The Zambian Maternity Homes (ZaMs) Project: Phase 2 Implementation and Evaluation, Merck for Mothers, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and ELMA Foundation, Phase II funding. (PI) 2015-2018.
- The Last Mile: A Retrospective Study of the Impact of Maternity Waiting Homes Using Geographic Information System Mapping, University of Michigan Office of Research, (PI), 2016-2017.
Dr. Jody Lori has developed two undergraduate elective courses, Perspectives in Global Health (N420) and Introduction to Global health: Issues and Challenges (N421) to introduce students to global heath concepts. N421 provides students with an opportunity for a supervised international experience in a low or middle resource country focused on the global and public health concepts of health promotion and risk reduction. With a core group of faculty, she developed the Global Health Minor for undergraduates and the Global Health Concentration for graduate students.
Affiliations / Service
- Advisory Council, Centering Healthcare Institute International, 2016-present
- Executive Committee, African Studies Center, University of Michigan, 2015-present
- Advisory Board, Global REACH, Medical School, University of Michigan, 2014-present
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2012-present
- Fellow, American College of Nurse-Midwives, 2010-present
- Member, Global Nursing and Health Expert Panel, American Academy of Nursing
- USAID/Saving Lives at Birth – ad hoc reviewer, Grand Challenges Awards, 2015
Notable Awards / Honors
- Excellence in Policy Writing Award, Nursing Outlook, American Academy of Nursing, 2016
- Faculty Advisor, Honors Student Best Research Paper Award, University of Michigan Undergraduate Honors Program, 2014
- Harriet H. Werley New Investigator Award, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2012
- Excellence in Nursing Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau, 2011
- Excellence in Teaching Award, American College of Nurse-Midwives, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- AACN Wharton Executive Leadership Program, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2015
- PhD, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2009
- MS, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1992
- BSN, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI ,1980
- Moyer, CA, Rominski, S, Nakua, EK, Dzomeku, VM, Agyei-Baffour, P, Lori, JR. (2016). Exposure to disrespectful patient care during training: Data from midwifery students at 15 midwifery schools in Ghana, Midwifery, 41: 39-44. doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2016.07.009
- Buser, JM & Lori, JR. (2016). Newborn outcomes and maternity waiting homes: A scoping review, Maternal & Child Health. DOI 10.1007/s10995-016-2162-2
- • Rominski-Danielson, S, Lori, JR, Moyer, C, Dzomeku, Nakua, E. (2016). “When the baby remains there for a long time it is going to die so you have to hit her small for the baby to come out”: Justification of disrespectful and abusive care during childbirth among midwifery students in Ghana, Health Policy and Planning, doi: 10.1093/heapol/czw114
- Lori, JR, Munro, ML, Mdluli, EA, Musonda, GK, Boyd, CJ. (2016). Developing a community driven sustainable model of maternity waiting homes for rural Zambia, Midwifery, 41: 89-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2016.08.005
- Rominski-Danielson, S, Moyer, C, Dzomeku, Nakua, E & Lori, JR. (2016). What makes a willing abortion provider? Evidence from a nation-wide survey of final-year students at Ghana's public midwifery training colleges, Contraception, 93(3):226-32. doi:10.1016/j.contraception.2015.11.007
- Beck, DC, Choi, KR, Munro-Kramer, ML & Lori, JR. (2016). Human trafficking in Ethiopia: A scoping review to identify gaps in service delivery, research, and policy, Trauma, Violence & Abuse, doi: 10.1177/1524838016641670
- Lori, JR, McCullagh, M, Krueger, A & Oteng, R. (2016). Sharps injuries among emergency department nurses in one tertiary care hospital in Ghana, International Emergency Nursing, doi.org/10.1016/j.ienj.2015.11.007
- Lori JR, Munro ML, Chuey MR. (2016). Use of a facilitated discussion model for antenatal care to improve communication. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 54: 84. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.03.018. PubMed PMID: 25862409; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4592694.
- Bell, SA, Lori, JR, Redman, R, Johnson, T & Seng, J. (2015). Psychometric Validation and Comparison of the Self Reporting Questionnaire-20 and Self Reporting Questionnaire-Suicide Ideation and Behavior Among Congolese Refugee Women, Journal of Nursing Measurement, 23(3):393-408. doi:10.1891/1061-37126.96.36.1993.
- Rominski, S, Lori, JR, Tadesse, L & Fisseha, S. (2015). Willingness to provide comprehensive abortion services and knowledge of the abortion law in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. International Journal of Nursing and Midwifery, 7(11):168-74. doi:105897/IJNM2015.0189.
- Lori JR, Rominski SD, Perosky JE, Munro ML, Williams G, Bell SA, Nyanplu AB, Amarah PN, Boyd CJ. (2015). A case series study on the effect of Ebola on facility-based deliveries in rural Liberia. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth, 15(1):254. doi: 10.1186/s12884-015-0694-x. PubMed PMID: 26459295. PubMEd Central PMCID: PMC 4603295.
- Perosky, JE, Munro, ML, Kay, JL, Nyanplu, A, Williams, G Andreatta, PB, & Lori, JR. (2015). Texting from the Bush: Data Collection using SMS Text Messaging in Areas of Low Network Coverage from Low-Literacy Providers, Journal of Health Communication: International Perspectives.
- Bell SA, Lori J, Redman R, Seng J. (2015). Development of a brief screening tool for women's mental health assessment in refugee settings: A psychometric evaluation. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 52(7):1202-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.04.003. PubMed PMID: 25892280.
- Lori JR, Stalls S, Rominski SD. (2015). Strengthening midwifery to end preventable maternal, child, and newborn deaths. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, 60(4):343-7. doi: 10.1111/jmwh.12341. PubMed PMID: 26255797; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4533120.
- Bell SA, Lori J, Redman R, Seng J. (2015). Understanding the effects of mental health on reproductive health service use: a mixed methods approach. Health Care for Women International, 18:1-22. doi: 10.1080/07399332.2015.1061525. PubMed PMID: 26086238.