Jody R. Lori
Jody R. Lori, PhD, CNM, FACNM, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Safe motherhood
- Community-based interventions
- Human rights
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Human resources for health
Dr. Jody Lori's work is based on a human rights approach to reduce maternal mortality disparities globally. Working with this focus, her program of research centers on community-based interventions to address the high rates of maternal and neonatal mortality in sub-Saharan Africa. Currently, she is working in collaboration with the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) with funding from a private donor on a major multi-year project addressing midwifery pre-service education and faculty retention in Ghana and Cambodia. Her research in Ghana is focused on describing pathways for posting professional midwives to underserved and deprived rural areas to encourage rural service for the Ministry of Health. Past field work experience has included travel to Ghana, Guatemala, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mexico and Zambia.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Fogarty/NIH, New Avenues to Increase the Use of Skilled Birth Attendants in Ghana. (PI) 2011-2016
- Center for Global Health, A Feasibility Study Using Cell Phone Technology for Community Based Data Collection and Data Transfer in Post-Conflict Liberia. (PI) 2011-2012
- USAID, Innovation, Research, Operations, and Planned Evaluation for Mothers and Children (I-ROPE), Liberia, West Africa. (PI) 2010-2014
- Strengthening Midwifery Capacity in Ghana through the Development of Centers of Excellence in Reproductive Health Training, (Co-PI) 2011-2013
- Fogarty/NIH, The Ghana-Michigan Post-doctoral and Research Trainee NEtworRk (PARTNER) Program, (Co-I) 2010-2011
- African Studies Center, African Social Research Initiative, Perinatal Mortality in Rural Liberia, (Co-PI) 2010-2011
- Center for Global Health, Fertility Aspirations and Control among Women in Uganda: A program for Multi-Lateral Student Engagement between University of Michigan & Mbarara University, Uganda, (Co-I) 2010-2011
Dr. Jody Lori has developed two undergraduate elective courses, Perspectives in Global Health (N420) and Introduction to Global health: Issues and Challenges (N421) to introduce students to global heath concepts. N421 provides students with an opportunity for a supervised international experience in a low or middle resource country focused on the global and public health concepts of health promotion and risk reduction. Dr. Lori has taught community health nursing (N422) for second career students in Liberia, West Africa. She also teaches graduate nurse-midwifery students in their final clinical course, Integration of Midwifery Practice in global settings.
Affiliations / Service
- Chair, Division of Global Health, American College of Nurse-Midwives, 2010-2013
- Member, Council on Global Engagement, Faculty Advisory Group, Provost Office, 2009-present
- Facilitator, Making Pregnancy Safer - Community of Practice, WHO and WHO Collaborating Centers, 2006-present
- Member, Steering Committee Member for development of a Nursing & Midwifery Community of Practice (CoP) in partnership with WHO and WHO Collaborating Centers, 2005-present
- Member, Transcultural Nursing Society, 2005-present
- Member, American College of Nurse-Midwives, Chair, 1990-present
- Member, Southeastern Michigan Chapter, American College of Nurse-Midwives, 1990-present (Chair, 1994-1996)
Notable Awards / Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2012
- Fellow, American College of Nurse Midwives, 2010
- Faculty Associate, Center for Global Health, University of Michigan, 2009
- Excellence in Teaching Award, American College of Nurse-Midwives, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- March of Dimes, Graduate Nursing Scholarship Award, 2006
- W. Newton Long Award, American College of Nurse Midwives, 2005
- PhD, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2009
- MS, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1992
- BSN, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI ,1980
- Bell, SA, Rominski, S, Bam, V & Lori, JR. An Analysis of Nursing Education in Ghana: Addressing the Nursing Workforce Gap, (in press).
- Lori, JR, Amable, E, Mertz, S, Moriarty, K. Behavior Change Following Implementation of Home-Based Life Saving Skills in Liberia, West Africa (in press).
- Saftner, MA, Martyn, KK, & Lori, JR. (2011). Sexually active adolescent women: Assessing family and peer relationships using event history calendars. Journal of School Nursing, 27(3), 225-236.
- Lori, JR & Boyle, JS. (2011). Cultural childbirth practices, beliefs and traditions in postconflict Liberia. Health Care for Women International 32(6): 454-473.
- Lori, JR & Starke, A. (2011). A critical analysis of maternal morbidity and mortality in Liberia, West Africa. Midwifery doi:10.1016/j.midw.2010.12.001.
- Lori, JR, Yi, CH & Martyn, KM. (2011). Provider characteristics desired by African-American women in prenatal care. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 22(1): 71-76.
- Lori, JR, Majszak, CM & Martyn, KM. (2010). Home-based life saving skills in Liberia: Acquisition and retention of skills and knowledge. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 55(4): 370-377.
- Lori, J.R., Ortiz, D., Oyarzo, S., Abbott, P. & Land, S. (2010). Developing Nursing and Midwifery Communities of Practice for Making Pregnancy Safer. Knowledge Management & E-Learning, 2 (2):17-28.
- Xu X., Grigorescu V., Siefert K.A., Lori J.R., Ransom S.B. (2009). Cost of racial disparity in preterm birth: Evidence from Michigan. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 20(3):729-747. (PMCID: in process)
- Xu X., Siefert K.A., Jacobson P.D., Lori J.R., Gueorguieva I., Ransom S.B. (2009). Malpractice burden, rural location, and discontinuation of obstetric care: A study of obstetric providers in Michigan. Journal of Rural Health, 25(1):33-42. (PMCID: in process)
- Xu, X., Siefert, K.A., Jacobson, P.D., Lori, J.R., & Ransom, S.B. (2008). The impact of malpractice burden on obstetrician-gynecologists’ career satisfaction. Women’s Health Issues, 18(4). (PMCID: PMC2536603)
- Yi, C., Lori, J.R. & Martyn, K. (2008). Development of prenatal event history calendar with African American women. JOGNN, 37(4). (PMID: 18754984)
- Xu, X., Lori, J.R., Siefert, K.A., Jacobson, P.D. & Ransom, S.B. (2007) Malpractice liability burden in midwifery: a survey of Michigan certified nurse-midwives. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, 53(1).
- Xu, X., Siefert, K.A., Jacobson, P.D., Lori, J.R., & Ransom, S.B. (2007). The effects of medical liability on obstetric care supply in Michigan, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 198: 205.e1-205.e9. (PMCID: PMC2259238)
- Lori, J.R., Land, S. & Mamede, F. (2007). Communities of practice: a sustainable knowledge hub for midwifery development. MIDIRS Midwifery Digest, 17(3).