Laura M. Struble
Laura M. Struble, PhD, GNP-BC
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Disruptive behaviors in people with dementia
- Cognitive changes in healthy older adults
- Family caregiving
Dr. Laura Struble is an Assistant Clinical Professor and a Gerontological Nurse Practitioner with specific expertise in the areas of neurology, dementia, and the care of older adults. Her research interests include alternative medicine, cognitive function, delirium, depression, disruptive behaviors in people with dementia, environmental design of special care units, family care-giving and sensory changes in older adults. Combining several of these interests, Dr. Struble is currently conducting pilot research that is investigating the use of acupuncture as a possible treatment for agitation behaviors in people with middle/late stage dementia. In addition to her research, Dr. Struble also maintains a practice at the Turner Geriatric Clinic where she treats older adults with mental illness and dementia and provides support and education to both professional and family caregivers.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- Acupressure for the Treatment of Pain in Older Adults with Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis, (Arthritis Foundation)
- An Innovative Caregiver Tool to Assess and Manage Behavioral Symptoms of Dementia (NINR-RFA-NR-12-011)
Affiliations / Service
- Member, Gerontology Society of America, 2010
- Member, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty, 2008
- Member, National Conference of Gerontological Nurse Practitioners, 2008
Notable Awards / Honors
- Geriatric Nursing Research Summer Scholars Program, Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, New York University, College of Nursing, 2009
- GNP, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1996
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1995
- MS, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1983
- Certificate - Specialist in Aging, Institute of Gerontology, University of Michigan, 1983
- BSN, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI 1979
- Blazek MC, Struble LM, Cavalcante, A, Masse, J. Medical Students in a Dementia Care Facility: an Enhanced Geriatric Psychiatry Experience. Acad Psychiatry. Online May 2015
- Agingcare blogpost: Helping a senior who wanders by Laura Struble (2015)
- Cothran, F. A., Farran, C. J., Barnes, L. L., Whall, A. L., Redman, R. W., Struble, L. M., & Fogg, L. (2015). Demographic and Socioenvironmental Characteristics of Black and White Community-Dwelling Caregivers and Care Recipients' Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 1-9.
- Struble, L. Wandering, In. BJ Ackley & GB Ladwig (Eds). Nursing Diagnosis Handbook: an evidence-based guide to planning care. 11th edition. Mosby/Elsevier, Missouri (In review)
- Struble, L., Blazek, M, Kales, H. Elopement in a Dementia Patient: Behavioral Disturbance to be Controlled Verses Communication to be Understood. Nurse Practitioner (In review)
- Steven M, Struble LM, Larson J. Recognizing pressure injury in the darkly pigmented skin type: A case study (In Press)
- Struble, L., Kavanagh, J., & Blazek, M. Chapter 6: Services for people with moderate dementia. In H. de Waal, C. Lyketsos, D. Ames, & J O’Brien (Eds.) Designing and Delivering Dementia Services (pp. 73-89). Oxford: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Struble, L., Understanding tremor- The keys to success. The Nurse Practitioner (In Press, June 2010).
- Kales, H.C., Blazek, M., Maixner, S, & Struble, L.M., Antipsychotic use in the elderly: overview and evidence-based management. Journal of Clinical Outcome Management. 2010, 17(1): 37-46.
- Kim, S, Uhlmann, R, Appelbaum, P, Knopman, D., Kim, H., Damschroder, L., Beattie, E., Struble, L., & Vries, R. Deliberative assessment of surrogate consent in dementia research. Alzheimer’s and Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer’s Association (In Press).
- Beattie, E. & Struble, L. Evidence-based practice protocols for wandering. In A.Nelson and D. Algase (Eds.) Evidence-Based Protocols for Managing Wandering behaviors (pp. 337-350). New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Struble, L. Gerontological nurse practitioner in a psychiatric practice. (White Paper). State of the science in gero-psychiatric nursing practice. In Kaas, M., & Beattie, E., (Eds.). Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Assoc. 2006, 12 (3).
- Kaiser, L., Spence, L., McGavin, L., Struble, L., Keilman, L. A dog and a “happy person visit nursing home residents. Western Journal of Nursing Research 24 (6): 671-683.
- Ortigara, A., Kuhn, D. &, Struble, L. Hospital nursing: connecting with a person who has Alzheimer’s disease. Nursing 2000, 30 (8), pp. 32hn3-5.
- Struble, L. Physical Environment as a Therapeutic Tool. In Susan Foster (Ed.) The New Vision of Dementia Care: Thinking Outside the Box. Rush Alzheimer’s Disease Center: Center Chicago IL.