Marita G. Titler
Marita G. Titler, PhD, RN, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Patient/stakeholder engagement in research
- Translation science and implementation science
- Older adults
- Evidence-based practice
- Outcomes effectiveness research
Dr. Titler’s program of research centers on health services research with a focus in translation/implementation science, and outcomes effectiveness research with older adults. As a result of her expertise, she has received federal and foundation funding for her research, serves on NIH and AHRQ study sections, and has published numerous clinical and research articles on outcomes effectiveness, evidence based practice, and translation science. Additionally, Dr. Titler has provided educational and consultation services to numerous health systems and national and international communities including Tri-Services Nursing Research, NIH, Veterans Healthcare Administration, and Singapore Ministry of Health. In 2015 she was elected to the National Academy of Medicine.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- NIH R01. The availability of chiropractic care and use of health services for back pain. (Co-investigator). PI: Davis. 1/1/16-12/31/2020.
- K08HS022908 Clinical Decision Support Optimizing NEC prevention Implementation in NICU. (Co-Sponsor). AHRQ. PI: Shelia Gephart. 10/1/2014-9/30/2019.
- 1 P20 NR015331 Center for Complexity and Self-management of Chronic Disease (CSCD). (Executive Committee Member). NINR. PI: Barton. 9/26/2014-7/31/2019.
- Effectiveness and Implementation Science for Health Promotion and Chronic Illness Care in Vulnerable Populations. (Co-Investigator) Hillman Scholars Program in Nursing Innovation; Rita and Alex Hillman Foundation. PI: P. Abbott. 7/1/2012-6/30/2017.
- Implementation of an Evidence-based Psycho-educational Program for Cancer Patients and their Family Caregivers in the Cancer Support Community Network. (Principal Investigator). Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research; University of Michigan. 1/2015-12/2015.
- STTR II R41MD006149 Advancing Patient Call Light Systems to Achieve Better Outcomes. (Principal Investigator). Patient Provider Communications, Inc. NIH STTR II, 2012 –2015.
- U01AGO4827O Clinical Trial of a Multifactorial Fall Injury Prevention Strategy in Older Persons (STRIDE). NIA/PCORI: U01, 30 million. 2014-2015. (Co-investigator).
As a means of sharing her expertise, Dr. Titler has developed, implemented, and evaluated an evidence-based practice course for staff nurses and an advanced practice institute for nursing professionals responsible for leading the application of evidence in care delivery. In promotion of evidence-based practice, these short courses have been taught locally and internationally at agencies such as the Alaskan Native Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, and the Hawaii State Center for Nursing. In addition, Dr. Titler has taught as a visiting professor in the DNP program at the University of Kentucky and the PhD Nurse Executive Program in the Niehoff School of Nursing at Loyola University. Currently, at the U-M School of Nursing, she mentors doctoral students in implementation science and serves as faculty in a variety of areas including evidence-based practice, outcomes effectiveness research, and translation science.
Affiliations / Service
- NCI Symptom Management and Health-related Quality of Life Steering Committee (SxQoL SC): Special Expert, 2015-present
- Director, National Nursing Practice Network, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 2005-present
- Member, Institute of Medicine (IOM) Committee on Standards for Developing Trustworthy Clinical Practice Guidelines, 2009-2011
- Member, Medicare Evidence Development & Coverage Advisory Committee, 2009-2010
- Member, Healthcare Delivery and Methodologies IRG [HDM] Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 HDM-G (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Editorial Panel 3, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 PSE-J (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 PSE-C (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 HDM-P (58) Challenge Grant Editorial Panel 26, 2009-2010
- Member, NIH Research Dissemination and Implementation Study Section Special Emphasis Pain
- National Guideline Clearinghouse and National Quality Measures Clearinghouse Expert Panel
- Member, Health Care Technology and Dissemination Sciences (HCTDS) Study Section for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Associate Director for Community Outreach, Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research
- Member, ZHL1 CSR-U (O2) NHLBI Grant Opportunities in Comparative Effectiveness (ARRA)
Notable Awards / Honors
- Elected to the National Academy of Medicine, 2015
- Distinguished Alumni Recipient from the University of Iowa Alumni Association, 2013
- President’s Award from Friends of the National Institute of Nursing Research for Translation Science (FNINR), 2010
- Women of Influence Award, Corridor Business Journal, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, Iowa, 2008
- Nurse Researcher Award, American Organization of Nurse Executives, 2008
- Elizabeth McWilliams Miller Award for Excellence in Research, Sigma Theta Tau International, 2005
- PhD, University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, IA,1992
- MA, University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, IA,1978
- BS, Mt. Mercy College, Cedar Rapids, IA, 1974
- Pressler, S. J., Titler, M., Koelling, T., Riley, P. L., Jung, M., Hoyland-Domenico, Ronis, D.L., Smith, D.G., Bleske, B.E., Dorsey, S.G., Giordani, B. Nurse-Enhanced Computerized Cognitive Training Increases Serum Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor Levels and Improves Working Memory in Heart Failure. Journal of cardiac failure. 21 (8): 630–641, 2015
- Galinato, J., Montie, M., Patak, L., Titler, M.G. Perspectives of Nurses and Patients on Call Light Technology. Computers, Informatics, Nursing (CIN). 33(8): 359-367, 2015.
- Lee, K., Pressler, S., Titler, M.G. Falls in patients with heart failure: A systematic review. The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 9: 1-7, 2015.
- Moore, JE; Titler, MG; Kane-Low, L; Dalton, VK; Sampselle, CM. Transforming Patient-Centered Care: Development of the Evidence-Informed Decision-Making through Engagement Model. Women’s Health Issues. 25(3): 276-282, 2015.
- Schoville, R., Titler, M. Guiding Healthcare Technology Implementation: A New Integrated Technology Implementation Model. Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 33(3): 99-107, 2015.
- Anderson, C., Titler, M., Development and verification of an agent-based model of opinion leadership. Implementation Science. Implementation Science.: 9(136), 2014.
- Titler, M.G., Overview of Evidence-based Practice and Translation Science. Nursing Clinics of North America. 49(3): 269-274, 2014.
- Newhouse, R., Bobay, K., Dykes, P.C., Stevens, K.R., Titler, M. Methodology Issues in Implementation Science. Med Care 51(4 Suppl 2): 32-40, 2013
- Titler, M.G., Wilson, D.S., Resnick, B., Shever, L.L. Dissemination and Implementation: INQRI's Potential Impact. Med Care 51(4 Suppl 2): 41-6, 2013
- Herr, K., Titler, M., Fine, P.G., Sanders, S., Cavanaugh, J.E., Swegle, J., Tang, X., Forcucci, C. The Effect of a Translating Research Into Practice (TRIP)-Cancer Intervention on Cancer Pain Management in Older Adults in Hospice. Pain Medicine 13(8) 1004-17, 2012
- Titler, M.G., Shever, L.L., Kanak, M.F., Picone, D.M., Qin, R. Factors Associated With Falls During Hospitalization in an Older Adult Population. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice. 25(2): 127-148, 2011
- Titler, M.G. Translation science and context. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice, 24(1):35-55, 2010.