Marita G. Titler
Marita G. Titler, PhD, RN, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Older adults
- Translation/implementation science in hospitals and communities
- Outcomes effectiveness research
- Patient/stakeholder engagement in research
- Evidence-based practice
Dr. Titler is an internationally recognized leader in evidence-based practice. Dr. Titler’s scholarship is in health services research with a focus in translation/implementation science, and outcomes effectiveness research with older adults. As a result of her expertise, she has received federal and foundation funding for her research, serves on NIH and AHRQ study sections, and has published over 150 clinical and research articles on outcomes effectiveness, evidence based practice, and translation science. In 2016 she was inducted into to the National Academy of Medicine. She is the founder and director of the National Nursing Practice Network, a collaborative network of over 100 US and international health systems. Dr. Titler provides educational and consultation services to health systems and national and international communities such as the Hawaii State Center for Nursing, NIH, Veterans Healthcare Administration, Tri-Services Nursing Research, and Singapore Ministry of Health.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- RO1NR016116. Cognitive Intervention to Improve Memory in Heart Failure Patients. (Co-investigator). PI: Pressler. National Institute of Nursing Research. 9/1/2016-8/31/2021.
- R01AT009003 NIH. The availability of chiropractic care and use of health services for back pain. (Co-investigator). PI: Davis. 1/1/16-12/31/2020.
- Older adults and informal caregiver perceptions on prevention of falls during care transitions. PI. U-M Injury Center. 6/1/2016-7/31/2017
- T32NR016914. Complexity: Innovations in Promoting Health and Safety. Program Director. National Institute of Nursing Research. 7/1/2017-6/30/2022. (Pending).
- 1 P20 NR015331 Center for Complexity and Self-management of Chronic Disease (CSCD). (Co-investigator and executive committee member). National Institute of Nursing Research. PI: Barton. 9/26/2014-7/31/2019.
- K08HS022908 Clinical Decision Support Optimizing NEC prevention Implementation in NICU. (Co-Sponsor). AHRQ. PI: Shelia Gephart. 10/1/2014-9/30/2019.
- Effectiveness and Implementation Science for Health Promotion and Chronic Illness Care in Vulnerable Populations. (Co-Investigator) Hillman Scholars Program in Nursing Innovation; Rita and Alex Hillman Foundation. PI: P. Abbott. 7/1/2012-6/30/2017.
Dr. Tilter serves as faculty for a variety of areas including leadership, evidence-based practice, outcomes effectiveness research, and implementation science. Since 2000, she has trained 15 pre- and four postdoctoral trainees, and currently has two pre- and one postdoctoral trainees. Dr. Titler has taught as a visiting professor in the DNP program at the University of Kentucky and the PhD Nurse Executive Program in the Niehoff School of Nursing at Loyola University. To share her expertise she teaches short courses on evidence-based practice and implementation science for staff nurses, nurse leaders, advanced practice nurses, and faculty. These short courses have been taught at agencies such as Oakwood Health System, the Alaskan Native Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, and the Hawaii State Center for Nursing.
Affiliations / Service
- Institutional Review Board Member, NCI Cancer Prevention and Control Central, 2016-present
- Invited reviewer, NIH Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health study section, 2016
- Member, Best Practices Identification and Dissemination Work Group: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, 2016-present
- NCI Symptom Management and Health-related Quality of Life Steering Committee (SxQoL SC): Special Expert, 2015-present
- Director, National Nursing Practice Network, 2005-present
- Member, Multidisciplinary Assessment Committee, Canadian Foundation Innovation Grants, 2015
- Member, Special Emphasis Panel, NIH NCI Community Oncology Research Program Community Sites (UM1). 2014
- Member, Institute of Medicine Committee on Standards for Developing Trustworthy Clinical Practice Guidelines, 2009-2011
- Member, Special Emphasis Panel, NIH Institutional Clinical and Translational Science Award, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Member, Medicare Evidence Development & Coverage Advisory Committee, 2009-2010
- Member, Healthcare Delivery and Methodologies IRG [HDM] Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 HDM-G (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Editorial Panel 3, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 PSE-J (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 PSE-C (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 HDM-P (58) Challenge Grant Editorial Panel 26, 2009-2010
- Member, Health Care Technology and Dissemination Sciences Study Section for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2006-2010
Notable Awards / Honors
- Member, National Academy of Medicine, 2015
- Distinguished Alumni Recipient from the University of Iowa Alumni Association, 2013
- President’s Award from Friends of the National Institute of Nursing Research for Translation Science (FNINR), 2010
- Women of Influence Award, Corridor Business Journal, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, Iowa, 2008
- Nurse Researcher Award, American Organization of Nurse Executives, 2008
- Elizabeth McWilliams Miller Award for Excellence in Research, Sigma Theta Tau International, 2005
- PhD, University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, IA,1992
- MA, University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, IA,1978
- BS, Mt. Mercy College, Cedar Rapids, IA, 1974
- Dockham, B., Schafenacker, A., Yoon, H., Ronis, D. L., Kershaw, T., Titler, M.G., & Northouse, L. (2016). Implementation of a psychoeducational program for cancer survivors and family caregivers at a cancer support community affiliate: A pilot effectiveness study. Cancer Nursing. 39(3), 169-180. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0000000000000311
- Shuman, C. J., Liu, J., Montie, M., Galinato, J.G., Todd, M.A., Hegstad, M., & Titler, M.G. (2016). Patient perception and experiences with falls during hospitalization and after discharge. Applied Nursing Research. 31, 79-85. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2016.01.009
- Titler, M.G., Conlon, P., Reynolds, M. A., Ripley, R., Tsodikov, A., Wilson, D. S., & Montie, M. (2016). The effect of a translating research into practice intervention to promote use of evidence-based fall prevention interventions in hospitalized adults: A prospective pre-post implementation study in the U.S. Applied Nursing Research. 31, 52-59. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2015.12.004
- Wilson, D.S., Montie, M., Conlon, P., Reynolds, M.A., Ripley, R., & Titler, M.G. (2016). Nurses’ perceptions of implementing fall prevention interventions to mitigate patient-specific fall risk factors. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 38(8), 1012-1034. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0193945916644995
- Henly, S., McCarthy, D., Wyman, J., Heitkemper, M., Redeker, N., Titler, M.G., Dunbar-Jacob, J. (2015). Emerging areas of science: Recommendations for nursing science education from the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science Idea Festival. Nursing Outlook. 63(4), 398–407. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2015.04.007
- Henly, S., McCarthy, D., Wyman, J., Stone, P., Redeker, N., McCarthy, A., Alt-White, A., Dunbar-Jacob, J., Titler, M.G., Moore, S., Heitkemper, M., & Conley, Y. (2016). Integrating emerging areas of nursing science into PhD programs. Nursing Outlook. 63(4), 408–416. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2015.04.010
- Pressler, S. J., Titler, M., Koelling, T., Riley, P. L., Jung, M., Hoyland-Domenico, Ronis, D.L., Smith, D.G., Bleske, B.E., Dorsey, S.G., Giordani, B. (2015) Nurse-enhanced computerized cognitive training increases serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels and improves working memory in heart failure. Journal of Cardiac Failure. 21(8): 630–641. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2015.05.004
- Schoville, R., Titler, M. (2015) Guiding Healthcare Technology Implementation: A New Integrated Technology Implementation Model. Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 33(3): 99-107. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/CIN.0000000000000130
- Moore, JE; Titler, MG; Kane-Low, L; Dalton, VK; Sampselle, CM. (2015) Transforming Patient-Centered Care: Development of the Evidence-Informed Decision-Making through Engagement Model. Women’s Health Issues. 25(3): 276-282. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2015.02.002
- Anderson, C., Titler, M. (2014) Development and verification of an agent-based model of opinion leadership. Implementation Science. Implementation Science.: 9(136) 1-13. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13012-014-0136-6
- Titler, M.G. (2014) Overview of Evidence-based Practice and Translation Science. Nursing Clinics of North America. 49(3): 269-274. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2014.05.001
- Mark, D., Titler, M.G., & Latimer, R. (Ed.). (2014). Integrating Evidence into Practice for Impact. Nursing Clinics of North America, 49(3), 269-452. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0029-6465(14)00052-8
- McCormack, B., Rycroft-Malone, J., Decorby, K., Hutchinson, A.M., Bucknall, T., Kent, B., Schultz, A., Snelgrove-Clarke, E., Stetler, C., Titler, M.G., Wallin, L., Wilson, V. (2013). A realist review of interventions and strategies to promote evidence-informed healthcare: A focus on change agency. Implementation Science. 8(1), 1-12. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-8-107
- Newhouse, R., Bobay, K., Dykes, P.C., Stevens, K.R., Titler, M. (2013) Methodology Issues in Implementation Science. Medical Care 51(4 Suppl 2): 32-40. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0b013e31827feeca
- Titler, M.G., Wilson, D.S., Resnick, B., Shever, L.L. (2013) Dissemination and Implementation: INQRI's Potential Impact. Medical Care 51(4 Suppl 2): 41-6. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0b013e3182802fb5