Marita G. Titler
Marita G. Titler, PhD, RN, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Implementation science
- Translation science
- Older adults
- Evidence based practice
- Outcomes effectiveness research
Dr. Titler’s program of research centers on health services research with a focus in translation and implementation science, and outcomes effectiveness research targeting older adults. As a result of her expertise, she has received federal and foundation funding for her research, serves on NIH and AHRQ study section, and has published numerous clinical and research articles on evidence based practice and translation science. Additionally, Dr. Titler has provided educational and consultation services to national and international communities including Tri-Services Nursing Research, NIH, Veterans Healthcare Administration, and Singapore Ministry of Health.
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- ICall Light Responsiveness and Effect on Inpatient Falls and Patient Satisfaction. (Investigator). 1R03 HS018258-01, PI: HM Tzeng, $100,000, 12/01/2009-11/30/2010.
- Improving the Delivery of Smoking Cessation Guidelines in Hospitalized Veterans. (Investigator), $899,600. IIR 07-113-2 PI: David Katz. 05/01 2008 – 04/30/2011.
- The Effectiveness of Smoking Cessation Guidelines in the Emergency Department. (Co-PI). $405,625. 1R21 DA021607 PI: David Katz. 07/01/2008 – 06/30/ 2010.
- Cancer Pain in Elders: Promoting EBPs in Hospices (Co-PI). $2,848,042. 1R01 CA115363-01. PI: Keela Herr. 09/12/2005 – 06/30/2010.
- Predicting Clostridium Difficile Infection: Preoperative Risk Factors. (Co-Sponsor). $70,000. 1F31 NR011548. PI: G. Krapohl, 12/01/2009-11/30/2011.
- University of Michigan Clinical and Translational Science Award, (UM CTSA). (Co-Investigator). Michigan Institute of Clinical and Health Research (MICHR). $59,716,044. UL1RR024986 NIH / NCRR. PI: K. Pienta, 09/17/2007 – 05/31/2012.
- Retooling for Evidence-Based Practice. (Consultant). $899,129. DIIHP14632. PI: S. M. Lee (MGH). 07/01/2009 – 06/30/2012.
- Implementation of Practice Standards of ECG Monitoring. (Consultant). $3,873,393. R01 HL081642 PI: M. Funk. 05/15/2008 – 5/14.2013.
As a means of sharing her expertise, Dr. Titler has developed, implemented, and evaluated an evidence-based practice course for staff nurses and an advanced practice institute for nursing professionals responsible for leading the application of evidence in care delivery. In promotion of evidence-based practice, these short courses have been taught locally and internationally at agencies such as the Alaskan Native Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, and the Hawaii State Center for Nursing. In addition, Dr. Titler has taught as a visiting professor in the DNP program at the University of Kentucky and the PhD Nurse Executive Program in the Niehoff School of Nursing at Loyola University. Currently, at the U-M School of Nursing, she mentors doctoral students in implementation science and serves as faculty in a variety of areas including evidence-based practice, outcomes effectiveness research, and translation science.
Affiliations / Service
- Associate Director for Community Outreach, Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research, 2009-present
- Director, National Nursing Practice Network, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 2005-present
- Member, Institute of Medicine (IOM) Committee on Standards for Developing Trustworthy Clinical Practice Guidelines, 2009-2011
- Member, Medicare Evidence Development & Coverage Advisory Committee, 2009-2010
- Member, Healthcare Delivery and Methodologies IRG [HDM] Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 HDM-G (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Editorial Panel 3, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 PSE-J (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 PSE-C (58) RRFA OD-09-003: Challenge Grants Panel, 2009-2010
- Member, ZRG1 HDM-P (58) Challenge Grant Editorial Panel 26, 2009-2010
- Member, ZHL1 CSR-U (O2) NHLBI Grant Opportunities in Comparative Effectiveness (ARRA)
- Member, NIH Research Dissemination and Implementation Study Section Special Emphasis Pain, 2007-present
- National Guideline Clearinghouse and National Quality Measures Clearinghouse Expert Panel, 2007-present
- Member, Health Care Technology and Dissemination Sciences (HCTDS) Study Section for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2006-present
Notable Awards / Honors
- Women of Influence Award, Corridor Business Journal, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, Iowa, 2008
- Nurse Researcher Award, American Organization of Nurse Executives, 2008
- Elizabeth McWilliams Miller Award for Excellence in Research, Sigma Theta Tau International, 2005
- Clinical Scholarship Award, Sigma Theta Tau International, 2001
- Research Award, National Teaching Institute, American Association of Critical Care Nurses, 1998
- Research Utilization Award, Sigma Theta Tau International, 1997
- PhD, University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, IA,1992
- MA, University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, IA,1978
- BS, Mt. Mercy College, Cedar Rapids, IA, 1974
- Cullen, L., Titler, M.G., Rempel, G.. An advanced education program promoting Evidence-Based Practice. Western Journal of Nursing Research (In press)
- Herr, K., Titler, M., Fine., Sanders., Cavanaugh, J., Swegle, J., Forcucci, C.. Assessing and treating pain in hospices: State of current evidence-based practices. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 39(5):803-819, 2010.
- Fine, P., Herr, K., Titler, M., Cavanaugh, J., Sanders, S., Swegle, J., Forcucci, C.. The Cancer Pain Practice Index (CPPI): A measure of evidence-based practice adherence for cancer pain management in older adults in hospice care. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 39(5):191-802, 2010.
- Titler, M.G., Moore, J. Evidence-Based Practice: A civilian perspective. Nursing Research, 59(1):S1-S6, 2010.
- Titler, M.G. (Guest Editor) January/February Supplemental Issue. Research to Practice in the Military Healthcare System, Nursing Research, 59(1), (s1suppl), 2010.
- Titler, M.G.. Translation science and context. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice, 24(1):35-55, 2010.
- Kerr, P., Shever, L. L., Titler, M., Qin, R., Kim, T., & Picone, D. M.. The unique contribution of the nursing intervention pain management on length of stay in older patients undergoing hip procedures. Applied Nursing Research, 23(1):36-44, 2010.
- Katz, D., Vander Weg, M., Du, S., Prochazka, A., Grant, K., Buchanan, L., Tinkelman, D., Reisinger, H.S., Brooks, J., Hillis, S.L., Joseph, A., Titler, M.G.: A before-after implementation trial of smoking cessation guidelines in hospitalized veterans. Implementation Science, 4:58, 2009.
- Herr, K. and Titler, M.G. Acute pain assessment and pharmacological management practices for the older adult with a hip fracture: Review of ED trends. Journal of Emergency Nursing. 35(4):312-320, 2009.
- Titler, M.G., Herr, K., Xie, X-J, Brooks, J.M., Schilling, M.L., & Marsh, J.L. Summative index: Acute pain management in the elderly. Applied Nursing Research. 22:264-273, 2009.
- Adams, S. and Titler, MG. Building Learning Collaborative, World Views on Evidence-Based Nursing. October 5, 2009. [E-pub ahead of print]
- Titler, M.G., Herr, K., Brooks, J., Xie, X-J, Ardery, G., Schilling, M., Marsh, J., & Clarke, W. A Translating Research into Practice Intervention Improves Management of Acute Pain in Older Hip Fracture Patients. Health Services Research (http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120120473/issue), 44(1):264-287, 2009.
- Brooks, J., Titler, M.G., Ardery, G., & Herr, K. The Effect of Evidence-Based Acute Pain Management Practices on Inpatient Costs. Health Services Research (44(1):245-263, 2009.
- Qin, R., Titler, M.G., Shever, L., Dochterman, J, Picone, D., & Kim, T. Estimating effects of nursing intervention via propensity score analysis. Nursing Research, 57(6), 444-452, 2008.
- Shever, L. L., Titler, M., Kerr, P., Qin, R., Kim, T., & Picone, D. M. The effect of high nursing surveillance on hospital cost. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 40(2), 161-169, 2008.