Marjorie C. McCullagh
Marjorie C. McCullagh, PhD, RN, APHN-BC, COHN-S
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Prevalence and risk factors for hearing loss in farming and construction
- Hearing protector use among farm operators and construction laborers
- Understanding adoption of self-protective behavior among farm operators and construction workers
- Application of the Pender Health Promotion Model
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- University of Michigan Education and Research Center, NIOSH T42, Director
- Test of a Web-based Intervention to Promote Hearing Protector Use, NIH/NIDCD RO1, PI
- Noise hazards among migrant and seasonal farmworkers, North Dakota Farm Bureau, PI
- Antineoplastic Drug Exposure of Health Care Workers in an Ambulatory Oncology Setting, University of Michigan Center for Occupational Health, Safety, and Engineering Pilot Research Program, Co-I
Dr. McCullagh is experienced in teaching nursing at the undergraduate and graduate levels, in both didactic and clinical settings. Her methods accommodate learners from a wide range of learning styles, and include a high level of student-teacher interaction. Dr. McCullagh employs a variety of teaching-learning methods, including case study analyses, videos, gaming, and web-based technologies in both face-to-face and distance learning formats. Course teaching focuses on public health nursing (e.g., population-focused assessment), core graduate nursing curriculum (e.g., nursing theory in advanced practice), and specialty-focused (e.g., issues in occupational health nursing).
Affiliations / Service
- President, Michigan Association of Occupational Health Nurses, 2013-present
- Member, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 1996-present (Health-Seeking Behavior Research Section, Co-Chair, 1999-2000; Chair, 2000-2001; Membership Committee member, 2001-2010; Membership committee chair, 2003-05, 2005-07, 2007-present; Pre-conference Planning Committee Member, 2002-2003; Scientific Session Moderator, 2000, 2002; Scientific Program Reviewer, 2010-present
- Member, University of Michigan Health System Nursing Health and Safety Council, 2008-present
- Member, School of Nursing Research Advisory Group, 2009-present
- Member, North Dakota Department of Health Public Health Emergency Reserve/Medical Reserve Corps, 2004-present
- Member, American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, 1997-present
- Member, American Public Health Association, 1997-present
- Staff, American National Red Cross, Disaster Health Services, 1978-present
Notable Awards / Honors
- Michigan Association of Occupational Health Nurses Medique Unique Leadership Award for initiative, motivation, productivity, creativity, and commitment (2011)
- North Dakota State University Impact Award (awarded as member of NDSU FORWARD, recognizing those who have demonstrated a significant contribution to advancing diversity; 2008)
- Fellow, American Association of Colleges of Nursing Leadership for Academic Nursing Program, 2006-2007
- North Dakota State University College of Pharmacy Outstanding Researcher Award, 2006
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1999
- MS, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, 1986
- BS, State University of New York, Albany, NY, 1977
- Duffy S. A., Cohen K., Choi, S.H., & McCullagh, M.C. (2011). Predictors of obesity in Michigan Operating Engineers. Journal of Community Health Nursing. Manuscript in press.
- McCullagh, M.C., Kerr, M., Raymond, D.M., & Lusk, S.L. (2011). Prevalence of Hearing Loss and Accuracy of Self-report among factory workers. Noise and Health, 13, 340-347.
- Friese, C. R., Ferris, L. H., Frasier, M. N. & McCullagh, M.C. (2011). Structures and processes of care in ambulatory oncology settings and nurse-reported chemotherapy exposure. BMJ Quality and Safety, doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2011-000178.
- McCullagh, M. C., Ortner, P. & Shim, S. (2011). Drug disposal methods of hospice home care nurses in Michigan. Journal of pain and symptom management. Manuscript in press.
- Foster-Reitz, M. & McCullagh, M. C. (2010). Why breastfeeding matters to occupational health nurses and employers. AAOHN Journal, 58 (11), 458-61, doi: 10.3928/08910162-20101027-04.
- McCullagh, M. C. (2010). Effects of a low intensity intervention to increase hearing protector use among noise-exposed workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 54(3), 210-215. DOI 0.1002/ajim.20884.
- Ortner, P. & McCullagh, M. (2010). Hospice nurses and drug disposal: The convergence between nursing practice and the environment. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing, 12, 15-26.
- McCullagh, M. C, Ronis, D. L. & Lusk, S. L. (2010). Predictors of use of hearing protection among a representative sample of farmers. Research in Nursing & Health, 33, 528–538. DOI: 10.1002/nur.20410.
- Ortner, P. & McCullagh, M. (2010). Hospice nurses and drug disposal: The convergence between nursing practice and the environment. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing, 12(1), 15-26.
- McCullagh, M. & Robinson, C. (2009). Too late smart: Farmers’ adoption of self-protective behavior in response to exposure to hazardous noise. AAOHN Journal, 57(3), 99-105.
- McCullagh, M. (2009). The Pender health promotion model. In S. Peterson & T. Bredow (Eds.), Middle range theories: Application to nursing research (2nd ed.), pp. 290-303. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.