Marjorie C. McCullagh
Marjorie C. McCullagh, PhD, RN, APHN-BC, COHN-S, FAAOHN, FAAN
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Prevalence and risk factors for hearing loss in farming and construction
- Hearing protector use among farm operators and construction laborers
- Understanding adoption of self-protective behavior among farm operators and construction workers
- Application of the Pender Health Promotion Model
Current Research Grants and Programs:
- University of Michigan Education and Research Center, NIOSH T42, Director
- Test of a Web-based Intervention to Promote Hearing Protector Use, NIH/NIDCD RO1, PI
- Test of hearing health education programs for farm and rural youth, NIH/NIDCD R01, PI
- Noise hazards among migrant and seasonal farmworkers, North Dakota Farm Bureau, PI
- Antineoplastic Drug Exposure of Health Care Workers in an Ambulatory Oncology Setting, University of Michigan Center for Occupational Health, Safety, and Engineering Pilot Research Program, Co-I
Dr. McCullagh is experienced in teaching nursing at the undergraduate and graduate levels, in both didactic and clinical settings. Her methods accommodate learners from a wide range of learning styles, and include a high level of student-teacher interaction. Dr. McCullagh employs a variety of teaching-learning methods, including case study analyses, videos, gaming, and web-based technologies in both face-to-face and distance learning formats. Course teaching focuses on public health nursing (e.g., population-focused assessment), core graduate nursing curriculum (e.g., nursing theory in advanced practice), and specialty-focused (e.g., issues in occupational health nursing).
Affiliations / Service
- Member, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 1996-present (Health-Seeking Behavior Research Section, Co-Chair, 1999-2000; Chair, 2000-2001; Membership Committee member, 2001-2010; Membership committee chair, 2003-05, 2005-07, 2007-present; Pre-conference Planning Committee Member, 2002-2003; Scientific Session Moderator, 2000, 2002; Scientific Program Reviewer, 2010-present
- Member, University of Michigan Health System Nursing Health and Safety Council, 2008-present
- Member, North Dakota Department of Health Public Health Emergency Reserve/Medical Reserve Corps, 2004-present
- Member, American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, 1997-present
- Member, American Public Health Association, 1997-present
- Staff, American National Red Cross, Disaster Health Services, 1978-present
Notable Awards / Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing (2015)
- Fellow, American Association of Occupational Health Nursing (2014)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Rho Chapter, Excellence in Nursing Research Award (2014)
- Michigan Association of Occupational Health Nurses Medique Unique Leadership Award for initiative, motivation, productivity, creativity, and commitment (2011)
- North Dakota State University Impact Award (awarded as member of NDSU FORWARD, recognizing those who have demonstrated a significant contribution to advancing diversity; 2008)
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1999
- MS, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, 1986
- BS, State University of New York, Albany, NY, 1977
- Duffy, S.A., McCullagh, M.C., & Lee, C. (2015) Future of advanced practice public health nursing education. Journal of Nursing Education. Manuscript in press.
- Kerdmuang, S,. Kalampakorn, S.,Lagampan,S., Jirapongsuwan, A., & McCullagh, M.C. (2014). Development and psychometric properties of the occupational health service competency scale of Thai primary care unit nurses. Pacific Rim Int J Nurs Res, 18(3), 187-202.
- Sanon, M.A., Spigner, C., & McCullagh, M.C. (2014 Published Online, Ahead of Print). Transnationalism and disease self-management. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. DOI: 10.1177/1043659614543476
- McCullagh, M.C., Sanon, M.A., Cohen, M. A. (2013). Recruitment and retention strategies in a randomized clinical trial with farmers. Applied Nursing Research.
- Friese, C.R. McArdle, C. Zhau, T., Sun, D.,Spasojevic, I., Polovich, M., & McCullagh, M.C. (2013). Antineoplastic drug exposure in an ambulatory oncology setting. Cancer Nursing doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000143
- McCullagh, M.C., Sanon, M.A. & Foley, J. (2014). Cultural health practices of migrant seasonal farmworkers in Michigan. Journal of Cultural Diversity.
- Sanon, M.A., Mohammed, S., & McCullagh, M.C. (2014) Definition and management of hypertension among Haitian immigrants: A qualitative study. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. Manuscript in press.
- Lin, Y.P., Kao, T.S., McCullagh, M.C., Edington, D.W., Larson, J.L. (2012) Work environment and psychosocial factors affecting physical activity among Taiwanese information technology professionals: a structural equation modeling approach. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 54(9):1092-100. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0b013e318266482d. PMID:229 29795
- McCullagh, M. C. (2012) Validation of a questionnaire to identify hearing loss. Noise and Health, 14 (56), 32-8, doi: 10.4103/1463-1741.93331.
- McCullagh, M. C. (2012). Occupational health nursing education for the 21st century. Workforce Safety and Health, 60(4), 167-76, doi:10.3928/21650799-2012.
- Lin, Y.P., Larson, J., Kao, A., & McCullagh, M.C., (2012) Translation and psychometric properties of the Chinese version of the perceived workplace environment scale in Taiwanese information technology professionals. Journal of Occupational Health;54(3):223-31.
- Lin, Y.P., Larson, J., Kao, A., & McCullagh, M.C. (2013) An integrative review: Work environment factors associated with physical activity among white collar workers. Western Journal of Nursing Research [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 24065693
- McCullagh, M.C. & Frank, K. (2012). Addressing adult hearing loss in primary care. Manuscript in press, Journal of Advanced Nursing.
- McCullagh, M. C., Ortner, P. & Shim, S. (2011). Drug disposal methods of hospice home care nurses in Michigan. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 43(2), 287-291. Doi: doi:10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2011.03.024.
- Friese, C. R., Ferris, L. H., Frasier, M. N. & McCullagh, M.C. (2011). Structures and processes of care in ambulatory oncology settings and nurse-reported chemotherapy exposure. BMJ Quality and Safety, doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2011-000178.