Ray Blush, DNP, MSN, RN, ACNP-BC
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 North Ingalls Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5482
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Emergency Department care
- Acute care settings
- Patient-clinician communication
Ray Blush is an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner who has grounded his career in emergency and observation settings. Because of his experience in this field, Ray has been part of teams that develop observation units, bringing forth the much valued nurse/medical provider standpoint. Additionally, he has developed an evidence-based practice focused on the care of patients in these settings, which he enjoys sharing with students whom he works with in the emergency department and observation settings.
Ray's teaching role is dually-faceted in that he has had the opportunity to work with graduate nurse practitioner students in the classroom as well as in acute care clinical setting. As a classroom instructor, Ray leads several seminar classes as well as specific lectures with some examples of classroom content being a wound repair lab with hands on practice and x-ray and EKG interpretation. From a clinical vantage point, Ray has had the opportunity to evaluate graduate students in their precepted clinical sites as well as directly precept students in the clinical setting. He also serves as a clinical site instructor for the second degree nursing student in the acute care setting.
Affiliations / Service
- Member, American College of Nurse Practitioners, 2009-present
- Panelist, American Nurse Credentialing Center – Standard Setting Panel, 2009
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau: Honor Society of Nursing
- Member, Emergency Nurses Association
Notable Awards / Honors
- Mid-Level Provider of the Year, awarded by Johns Hopkins Emergency Medicine Residents, 2006-2007
- Best Preceptor, Johns Hopkins Emergency Medicine, Emergency Nursing Recognition, July 2004
- MSN, Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 2005
- BSN, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 2000
- Blush, R., & Matzo, M. (2012). Acute infectious diarrhea: An overview of causes, preventives, and treatments. American Journal of Nursing, 112(8), 65-8.