Stephen Strobbe, PhD, RN, PMHCNS-BC, CARN-AP
University of Michigan School of Nursing
426 North Ingalls
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2003
Scholarly Expertise / Activity
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Mental health and substance use disorders
- Prevention, treatment, and recovery
Dr. Stephen Strobbe is board certified in both psychiatric and addictions nursing. He served as the first Clinical Director for the University of Michigan Addiction Treatment Services (UMATS) in the Department of Psychiatry, for which he received the Administration Management Award from the International Nurses Society on Addictions (IntNSA) in 2007. He completed doctoral studies in 2009, with a concentration in bio-behavioral health. His dissertation was titled, “Alcoholics Anonymous: Personal Stories, Relatedness, Attendance and Affiliation.” Dr. Strobbe has published more than two dozen peer-reviewed articles, position papers, and book chapters. He is currently serving as President-Elect for the International Nurses Society on Addictions (IntNSA), and will assume the presidency of this organization in 2016.
Dr. Strobbe holds the rank of Clinical Associate Professor both at the University of Michigan School of Nursing, and the Department of Psychiatry. He has served as a lecturer, preceptor, clinical instructor, faculty of record, and specialty lead for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students in the areas of psychiatric and addictions nursing. He has presented numerous jury-selected papers, posters, symposia and workshops, served as a consultant, and given invited talks both nationally and internationally. In 2015, Dr. Strobbe received the Golden Apple Award, the only student-selected teaching award at the University of Michigan
Affiliations / Service
- President-Elect, International Nurses Society on Addictions (IntNSA, 2014-present; Board of Directors, 2010-2014; member since 1996)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Addictions Nursing (2013-present)
- Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Honor Society of Nursing, Rho Chapter (2013-present; organization member since 1989)
- Member, American Nurses Association
- Member, Michigan Nurses Association
- Member, University of Michigan Depression Center
- Member, University of Michigan Substance Abuse Research Center
- Member, University of Michigan Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation
- Member, University of Michigan Global REACH
Notable Awards / Honors
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Eastern Michigan University, College of Health and Human Services, 1997
- Edith Galt Morgan Award for Leadership and Scholarly Excellence in Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 1999
- Meritorious Award for Doctoral Studies, University of Michigan School of Nursing, 2003-2009
- Administration/Management Award, International Nurses Society on Addictions (IntNSA), 2007
- 25th Annual University of Michigan Golden Apple Award and Lecture, 2015
- PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 2009
- MS, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 1998
- BSN, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI 1989
- Strobbe, S. (2015). Opening minds, hearts, and lives. Michigan Alumnus, Late Fall 2015, 44-45. http://digitaledition.qwinc.com/publication/?i=281402&p=46
- Strobbe, S. (2015). Theoretical perspectives. In A. Rundio & W. Lorman (Eds). Core Curriculum of Addictions Nursing: Official Publication of the International Nurses Society on Addictions (3rd edition) (pp. 53-76). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health.
- Strobbe, S. (2014). Prevention and screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment for substance use in primary care. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice, 41(2), 185-213.
- Tschannen, D., Anderson, C., Strobbe, S., Bay, E., Bigelow, A., Dahlem, C. H. Y., Gosselin, A. K., Pollard, J., & Seng, J. S. (2014). Scholarly productivity for nursing clinical track faculty. Nursing Outlook,62(6), 475-481.
- Strobbe, S., Cranford, J. A., Wojnar, M., & Brower, K. J. (2013). [Special issue: Addiction and spirituality]. Spiritual awakening predicts improved drinking outcomes in a Polish treatment sample. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 24(4), 209-216.
- American Nurses Association, and the International Nurses Society on Addictions (2013). Broyles, L., Corte, C., Finnell, D. S., Fornili, K. S., Murphy-Parker, D., Savage, C., & Strobbe, S. Addictions Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice. D. S. Finnell & K. Allen (Eds.). Silver Springs, MD: American Nurses Association.
- Strobbe, S., Perhats, C., & Broyles, L. M. (2013). [Position paper, International Nurses Society on Addictions, and Emergency Nurses Association]. Expanded roles and responsibilities for nurses in screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) for alcohol use. Journal of Addictions Nursing. 24(3), 203-204.
- Strobbe, S. (2013). Addressing substance use in primary care. The Nurse Practitioner, 38(10), 45-54.
- Strobbe, S., Thompson, S. M., & Zucker, R. A., (2013). [Special issue: Interdisciplinary collaboration in addiction education]. Teaching college students about Alcoholics Anonymous: An experiential approach. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 24(1), 51-57.
- Strobbe, S., Hagerty, B., & Boyd, C. J. (2012). [Continuing education feature]. Applying the nursing Theory of Human Relatedness to alcoholism and recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 23(1), 241-247.
- Oliver, J., Coggins, C., Compton, P., Hagan, S., Matteliano, D., Stanton, M., St. Marie, B., Strobbe, S., & Turner, H. (2012). [Dual publication]. American Society for Pain Management Nursing position statement: Pain management in patients with substance use disorders. Pain Management Nursing Journal, 13(3), 169-183. Journal of Addictions Nursing. 23(3), 210-222.
- Strobbe, S., & Kurtz, E. (2012). Narratives for recovery: Personal stories in the 'Big Book' of Alcoholics Anonymous. Journal of Groups in Addiction and Recovery, 7(1), 29-52.
- Strobbe, S., Mathias, L., Gibbons, P. W., Humenay, E., & Brower, K. J. (2011). Buprenorphine clinic for opioid maintenance therapy: Program description, process measures, and patient satisfaction. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 22(1), 8-12.
- Strobbe, S., Brower, K. J., & Galen, L. W. (2003). Gender and outpatient detoxification from alcohol. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 14 (1), 19-25.
- Strobbe, S., Brower, K. J., & Galen, L. W. (2003). Predicting outpatient opioid detoxification using clonidine. American Journal on Addictions, 12(3), 260-269.